Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Baby Girl!

-by the proud new papa

On Tuesday morning Heather got a call from our social worker and immediately called me. We got our referral! Until now, we'd all been assuming we'd end up with a son, but as it turns out, a beautiful baby girl is waiting on us. To make a long story short, we received the referral packet and reviewed our baby's background. We consulted with a family friend who is a pediatrician (trying to remain logical and objective - a pointless attempt). And on Wednesday I called the agency to accept our daughter, of course. Then we got pictures by email. I thought I was awestruck from the referral packet and the word-picture it painted. I was pretty much in love at that point. I was wrong. The pictures came in my email and it was over. I'm a goner. Completely smitten. Funny how a packet of papers and a few photos could make this all so real for me.

And now, this proud daddy would like to introduce to you...

Our baby girl, Luci Kate!



Luci was born - get this - on my birthday, July 16, 2008. How cool is that? The photo is at 5 months old (we think). She's a tiny, gorgeous thing and already melting hearts from half the globe away. (I'm trying to figure out how to bargain for that rockin' baby throne, too) Below are her 1 month, 3 months, and again 5 months old photos (this time with her foster mom).


Funny how I was so cool with the wait for referral. It was no big deal for me (though it was really beginning to wear on Heather). I knew we'd get referral of the right baby for us at the right time. Now I'm completely opposite: I'm anxious and impatient at best. They tell me she'll be here in God's perfect timing. Well, that sounds great and all, but I'm waiting for my baby girl who's separated from me by 15 time zones. I want to bring her home NOW people!

So I guess the difficult wait is upon us. We've sent in the formal acceptance paperwork (saying 'yes' requires a boat-load of signatures!). We're filing all the right US Gov. forms, feeding the bureaucracy with a singular purpose in mind - paving the way for my little girl to come home to us.

In the mean time, this big, furry, burly daddy is having fits. I've cried when I thought of buying a stuffed rabbit I once saw and sending it to her. I get all tight in the chest when I see her little picture staring down at me from the mantle. If you think you're coming to our home to hold her, well, you'll have a tough time prying her from my arms. I'll warn you. It won't happen easily.

And if there are any 6 month old little boys reading this and making plans for knocking on my door in about 16 years to take Luci out. I'm watching you...

23 comments:

Gracie said...

Heather, I know I already told you this at the retreat, but Luci is just a precious, little doll baby!!! I am so excited and happy for you guys! I agree that you definitely need to get that baby throne.
Grace

Ryan said...

Congratulations, I'm so happy for you guys!!!! She's beautiful!

- Uncle Ryan

Terri said...

Luci Kate is precious! What a blessed start to the new year. Hopefully, all the paperwork will go through quickly and you will be on your way to South Korea. Congratulations!

Kindall6 said...

She is beautiful beyond words! We are so very excited to welcome our new niece and cousin home! Congratulations on your sweet new family!
With love,
Kerry, Betsy, Dylan, Grace, & Allie

Jennifer Lynn said...

Congratulations you two!!!! I am so excited for you. I understand the anxiety of waiting...you can do it Jason.

Beth Holland said...

Heather, I'm so excited for you two, what a blessing! Luci is so cute and adorable! Congratulations!!

Karyn Walker said...

Wow, congratulations! Little Luci is lucky to have such a wonderful mommy and family! Good luck and you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so excited for you!

Erinn said...

I am so happy for the both of you. Luci is so lucky to have such a wonderful mother. Love her crazy hair and can't wait to meet her.

Erinn

jillbirge said...

Heather!!! Words cannot express how excited I am for you! I have been praying all year for you to receive your little blessing!!!! I cannot wait to see her in your arms! I will continue to pray for little Luci to be in your arms SOON!!!
I am so happy for your little family! Lots of snuggles are headed your way!

Love,
Jill

David, Lanny, Elijah and Caleb said...

I have two eligible little bachelors for you! One of them is 2 1/2 and the other is 6 months. I will be praying for a quick meeting between parents and daughter! I am so happy for you all. God is Good!

Love you,

Lanny (and all her men)

Tori Matlock said...

Heather and Jason, I can't even express how excited I am for you! You two will be the perfect parents for the perfect little girl. Scot has a message for Jason - you will now be doing things you never dreamed of - playing Barbies, letting her put barretts in your hair (and she will have a lot to work with-HA!) dressing dolls, and yes even wearing crowns and painting nails! But he says it is all worth it. She will have both of you wrapped around the tiniest pinky you can imagine. I love you both and can't wait to meet Luci.
Tori

Megan Oaks said...

Heather-

I'm so excited for you! I hope everything go smoothly and quickly so that you can have your little girl in no time. She is so precious! Good luck with everything.

God Bless-
Megan Oaks

Bob and Meg said...

Wow, we are so excited for you! She is beautiful. We can hardly wait to hear more about her! What great parents you will be.

What does that make us, Aunt and Uncle or Grandparents?

Bob agrees you need the baby throne.

LC said...

Heather,
I am so excited for you guys! I know you have been waiting for too long! You'll finally have someone to read that massive book collection to! Congratulations doesn't even seem like enough to say but Congratulations!

Crystal said...

I am so excited for the two of you! Luci is the luckiest little girl and so precious. Absolutely fantastic! What a great start to the new year. Congratulations and blessings.

Crystal Beshears

Dania Efird said...

Congrats! She's precious. I'm also excited to see someone else from AR! We're in Russellville.

LeaghaSmith said...

Heather, she is so beautiful! I am so happy for you, I know how much you wanted this! I hope you get her quickly and cannot wait to see her!

Tamara said...

OMG! Is she the cutest baby you've EVER SEEN? She is so cute. I know the wait will seem interminable now. Back in the day, on the forum, there was a "padded room" that people who were going crazy from waiting would figuratively go to, and "who has the key to the padded room?" was a common phrase. I'm so hoping you have a short wait.

Dania Efird said...

Hey! When did you go to orientation? I thought we were the only ones from AR at that meeting. Maybe I was wrong!

Allison Pedersen said...

Heather, I am so happy for you and your husband. Congratulations!! You are such a great teacher, mentor, and person, and this will clearly shine through as you will be a wonderful mother as well!! I wish you the best, and both of you will be in my thoughts and prayers! Congratulations again! :)

Yvonne and Eric said...

Congratulations!! I'm so thrilled for you and hope your wait to TC goes quickly!

Our son had the same foster mother!! She is wonderful and you can rest assured that she is loving Luci to pieces right now!

Yvonne (Dillon forum)

Unknown said...

Heather and Jason! What a cutie pie! What an awesome blessing! Little Luci Kate! I am praying that all of the paperwork goes smoothly and quickly.

nadud said...

Hey girl I am so excited for you. I am crying as I write. I know the anxiousness you must feel. Please know you are being prayed for every day! Please keep me posted.
Renee